Friday 28 June 2013

In depth trailer analysis: Cinematography

Cinematography is possibly one of the most important aspects of the trailer, as a trailer is simply a montage of different shots. It is important for these to be varied, otherwise the trailer could be uninteresting and boring. This is definitely seen in the Life of Pi's trailer where several shots are used together.

In the timeline I created below I looked not only at the several different types of shot used but the effect on the audience. The effect on the audience is very important as it is them that will be watching the film and who need to understand it.

Looking at different types of shots and the number of different shots used in a trailer will aid me in the construction of my own as I now understand the typical conventions of cinematography and will now be able to make my trailer look like a trailer. This cinematography analysis task has also shown me how I can use different shots to produce different effects.

IThis activity will help me to discover the various shots that I could use in my trailer. I have looked not only at the shots and their effects but what they are used for. By knowing what shots are used for I will be able to understand how I can use cinematography to achieve a specific purpose.



I have learnt that...

  • Establishing shots are useful in setting location
  • Close ups show who is the main character and pay detail to emotion which may be key in a particular scene
  • Long shots/wide angle shots can be good at showing action/movement
  • It is important to apply to the 180 rule as well as the rule of thirds
  • High angle and low angle shots can show dominance/authority vs inferiority
  • Birds eye shots are also good at establishing a location well, they can also make the subject appear small in comparison to the setting which can show vulnerability

No comments:

Post a Comment