Wednesday 11 September 2013

Influences- drama trailer and looking at micro aspects

I decided to get some influence from other trailers of my genre. I looked up film's of the drama genre using the IMDB database. The film Adore was listed under the theme of drama so I chose to look at the different micro aspects and decide what I like about them and look at the overall composition of the trailer and what I could learn from it. I created the timeline below to look at the cinematography as well as the other micro aspects and I will now evaluate what I have learnt from looking at this trailer...


What I like about this trailer and what I might consider using in my own...

Cinematography 
A lot of shots which are varied, this stops the visual aspect of the trailer getting boring. I particularly like the use of close ups- to extreme close ups. It really helps to draw attention to the subject that the audience need to be focusing on.
Editing/Titles
The titles match the films logo, this keeps a consistent design theme which is recognisable.

Mise En Scene
Using props to tell stories of the past, this could be important in a drama, which often has to inform the audience of the background story to the problem which the characters now face.

Sound
An instrumental soundtrack without voice over keeps the audience's attention on what is displayed on the screen. I also like how it ends with an important part of dialogue with one of the characters saying "I'll never forgive you for this". This acts almost as a cliffhanger because as soon as you think that the trailer has given away too much and you know the storyline, it reinforces the fact that you don't and it leaves the audience wanting to know what the character does not want to "forgive" the other for.

What have I learnt?
- Trailers require a variety of shots in different locations as it is unlikely for a film to be set in entirely one location.
- Drama films often require a lot of close ups as they're based mainly on human emotions and it is close ups that draw attention to that.
- The editing techniques need to match the mood of that particular scene, for example, you would not use a slow fade in a fast, action-packed scene.
- The titles do not have to comply to grammatical or the rules of standard English, in fact, if they do not it can help to tell the story more effectively by helping to convey a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment